What is Ayurveda Fumigation or Dhoopana or Dhoomapana?
Dhoopana or Ayurvedic Fumigation formulations comprising of minerals, herbs, and animal products with the view of reaping benefits from these formulations by discarding the microbial contamination. This method of practice in Ayurveda is for maintaining the internal and external environment of the human. This is a part of preventive measures in Ayurveda practices
We live in an environment that is filled up with millions of micro-organisms such as bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and viruses etc. As per the study, 37% of our household dust is contributed by these microorganisms. Approximately, microbes in the air range from 10 to 10,000 per cubic meter. These microbes are powerful to live in temperatures from -20 degrees celsius to 100 degrees. Even though all the microbes are not pathogenic, we humans considered them all as infection-causing agents. It is find out that only 25-25 percent are pathogenic
The 12 Amazing Benefits of Ayurveda Fumigation (Dhoopana)
- It can be used to avoid pests, insects, and rodents in houses or offices or in the hospital to prevent an outbreak, especially when moisture in the air is very high or in the winter or rainy season.
- It is highly effective to purify therapeutic rooms or patient care area
- Ayurveda fumigation was also used before storing grains, cereals, and raw drugs, as it can increase the self-life of these items.
- It can also use to disinfect vessels, use for medication, or preparation of medicines
- This method of fumigation is effective to disinfect clothes or household items
- Used as a means of drug administration
- It is used in disease conditions like wounds, fever and mental conditions, etc.
- Dhoopana done before storing of raw drugs and cereals helps to increase their shelflife and preserves potency.
- Disinfects vessels used for medicine preparation.
- Clothes and other household items can be kept disinfected and sterile by Ayurveda fumigation (Dhoopana) method.
- This form of drug delivery through the inhalation route having several benefits such us ease of drug administration, higher bioavailability &bhigh potential to penetrate the blood-brain barrier
- The volatility of drugs used in Dhoopana, has an advantage in lowering microbial contamination in the area which is difficult to reach
List of Various Drugs Used In Ayurveda Fumigation / Dhoomapana
|Sr No.||Dravya||Latin Name||Family||Official part||Proportion|
|1||Guggulu||Commiferamukul Engl||Burseraceae||Niryasa||1.5 parts|
|2||Ushira||Vetiveriazizanoids Linn||Graminae||Root||1.5 parts|
|3||Vacha||Acoruscalamus Linn||Araceae||Rhizome||1 part|
|4||Rala||Shorearobusta Gaertn.||Dipterocarpaceae||Niryasa||1.5 parts|
|5||Nimba||Azadirectaindica Juss.||Meliaceae||Stem bark||1.5 parts|
|6||Arka||Calotropisprocera Linn||Asclepiadaceae||Moola||1.5 parts|
|7||Devadaru||Cedrusdeodara Loud.||Pinaceae||Bark||1.5 parts|
|8||Loban||Boswelliacarterii Roxb.||Bursuraceae||Niryasa||3 parts|
The Proven effectiveness of Ayurveda Fumigation / Dhoopana
Many hospitals in India have conducted studies about the effectiveness of this fumigation, links to those reports are given below. However, the effectiveness of this on viruses is yet to be proven
Ayurveda Fumigation Report 1
Ayurveda Fumigation Report 2